What Does Privately Funded Care Mean?

Balhousie Care Group is a private social care provider, which means that residents must pay for their care themselves.

The amount charged each week can vary according to the location of the home, a resident’s individual circumstances and their selected room.

If you choose to have ‘extras’ such as a private telephone in your room, daily newspaper or hair salon treatments, these will be chargeable. However, bringing your own television into your room will not incur any additional fees.

Terms of Notice

If a resident wishes to move out of the home, our standard terms require 28 days’ notice.

If a resident has a stay in hospital or goes on holiday, full fees are still payable as the resident’s bedroom is still allocated to them.

We will happily provide you with a complete and unambiguous understanding of the fees that we charge on request.

Is There Any Financial Assistance Available?

The financing of social care can be a complex topic area and can vary from council to council in Scotland, home to home and person to person. However, there is help available. 

Needs Assessment

Your local authority can carry out a 'needs assessment', a legal requirement for them to do if asked and we advise all potential new residents to request this. It will will help determine your specific care requirements and personal circumstances. Dependant on your financial situation, this can lead to support with care costs, benefits, grants and other financial assistance.

Even if you feel you are unlikely to qualify for financial assistance, a needs assessment can help form a potential future care plan and will give you the opportunity to speak with a professional who can talk you through your options. 

It is always useful to take a family member or friend along to the assessment with you so you can talk about what was discussed after the assessment takes place. 

How will my Contribution to Care Costs be Calculated?

Your individual care costs will be calculated based on your income (pension, investments, work etc) and assets (property and savings). If the combined total of these is below a certain level, your local authority will make a contribution. In some cases, this will cover the home's costs entirely, however, what is more usual is that it will require a 'top-up payment'.

Top-up Payments

These are often paid by family or friends, where willing. They cannot be paid by yourself as your income will have been taken into account during the needs assessment. Amounts for top-ups can vary considerably and depend on the individual home chosen.

Continuing Healthcare Payments

You may qualify for 'continuing healthcare payments' which is funding provided by the NHS that will cover your care and basic living costs. It is provided for some residents who would otherwise require full-time NHS care. This area of funding can be extremely complex and it is advised that you speak with your care manager, GP or hospital Doctor who will be able to advise you of your options in this area. 

Even if you do not qualify for 'continuing healthcare payments' you may qualify for other allowances or benefits which can help with partial funding for your nursing care. It is always adviseable to speak with a professional and gain as much information on this as possible in order to ensure you receieve the funding help you are entitled to.